Monday, July 21, 2008

How to turn me into a ...

BRIDEZILLA!

No not really. But I did get really mad and in front of my soon to be Mother in Law recently due to some miscommunication at the cake bakery. It was kinda embarrassing. But I think I did pretty well considering I unleashed my wrath not at the poor lady that just came back from vacation, but outside on the streets of Coral Gables.

What happened? Well, with our venue, we have the option of getting our cake at Cake Designs by Edda, which is an institution in Miami. They even have 4 locations in South Florida. In March, I went to taste some cake in their Doral store. They were really busy and didn't treat me so great. So, I figured I would try the Coral Gables store while I was visited Miami in June. I called them up to make sure that they would have all the flavors and fillings I wanted to try. The lady strongly assured me that I needed no appointment and that they would have all those flavors and fillings. This is cool because it is actually posted on their website as a FAQ's:

3. When can I come in for a tasting?
Anytime, but it is always best to call in advance to make sure we have specific flavor available for tasting.






4. Do I need an appointment?
Appointments are not necessary, though recommended for special occasions. Appointments can be made Monday through Friday at any of our store locations.



So me, my mom, Ralph, his mom and her partner all stroll in the store on a Monday to eat some cake. Cue to the poor lady who just came off of vacation, she tells me that they have no cake and that the cakes for tasting won't come in until the afternoon. WHAT? They have no cake? All the moms drove an hour for nothing? She finally offers us their signature flavor cake (Vanilla Rum), which I decline since I already know Ralph hates rum cakes. I ask Ralph to please "take care of this" so I won't bite this persons head off. He gets us a firm appointment for the following day, while I yell an obscenity outside.

The following day... all come again, except Ralph's mom's partner who has to work:-( The lady at the counter kindly tells us,' Oh no, we only do tastings on Wednesday.' WHAAAA? That isn't posted anywhere? What the hell? I just look at Ralph, who then asks for the poor vacation lady. Poor vacation lady comes out behind the counter and knows that I am pissed (I have a hard time hiding those sort of facial expressions). She then very kindly takes care of us and even gives us second helpings to bring home to those who actually work. The cake is good, damn good. It is a good thing too. I was at the point of 3 strikes and you are out. Although, I have to admit that I am quite concerned that they will screw it up. End the end, we are supposed to get a very simple 3-layer round buttercreme cake with strawberry jam filling (how hard is that to mess up?). Now I just I have to bribe someone into decorating it like this for me:

(theknot)

So will it work with all green orchids? Should we have sprung the extra $ for sugar orchids instead?

1 comment:

tcohen14 said...

Hi there!
First off, I am Tamara Cohen, the owner of the great picture with the Orange table runner and white callas. Love that you added it to your post. However, my company name has changed to TC Event Design, www.tceventdesign.com. Much appreciated on the link.
Also, your blog is great! No, I"m not trying to sell my services as I can clearly tell you are the quite the DIY Bride. However, if you need any quick help or advice I am happy to save you time and energy. Our company recently put together this crazy comprehensive database of everything with REAL prices (not the ones they give you off the rack). It kinda sucks that the knot message boards don't like vendors because soemtimes when I look at the posts I feel so bad that I could be saving so many brides so much time by donating 30 minutes a day ;).
Either way, congratulations on your big day -- wish you nothing but the best!
Tamara Cohen
TC Event Design