Monday, April 14, 2008

Venue bashing

While researching venue locations I was shocked, SHOCKED, at what some of these places charge and what they give in return. One of the places I fell in love with was Fairchild Botanic Garden in South Miami. I became smitten with this place while taking one of my botanical courses, where I often had to tour the very large and grand garden. I often saw weddings being set up there. Even though I was single at the time, I envisioned my wedding there amongst the gorgeous meticulously cared for plants.


For about $7500 it can also be yours. Yes, that is right, it costs almost as much as my car did when I bought it 5 years ago. What, you may ask, does $7500 get you... 6 hours in the garden with 100 of your closest family and friends (beyond that is $20/person extra). That is it, no catering, linens, tables, chairs - nothing. Well, since I am on a budget, this place was simply out of the question.

Other exorbitant places include the lovely Vizcaya in Coconut Grove (over $12k), the Deering Estate (only about $5k) in South Miami. What is even more shocking is that these are all county Parks. Again, for these prices you get the pleasure of some of your friends to be there for a few hours. You still have to hire their security guards, use their over priced tent company, pay for janitorial services and additional permit fees, and follow their very strict rules. This is, of course in addition to all the food, rentals, and entertainment. Well, many people have that much dough to throw away. While touring the Deering Estate, I found out that they are booked solid every weekend (even in the nasty hurricane season).

For awhile I thought we weren't going to be able to afford an outside garden wedding in Miami. Thankfully, we did find a place that is much more affordable, without sacrificing too much. But more about that in a later post.

No comments: