Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I <3 etsy.com!

It is really easy to go overboard on purchasing the details for the wedding, especially when it comes to MY details. That is why I have come to love etsy.com, an ebay, if you will, of the craft world. About my details... I am pretty sure that I will wear a veil with my dress. Ralph isn't entirely happy about this probably because he thinks it will look something like this:
I personally like the veil that I tried on with my dress. I just hate the $150 price tag. But actually this post isn't supposed to be about the veil. It is supposed to be about what I will wear after the veil comes off. I want to have a some adornment in my hair to go along with the bodice of my dress. Luckily, I stumbled upon the store of the wonderful etsy seller smittenxoxo, and fell in love with her piece Orange and Berries: a silk ranunculus flower with feather accents

I love how much it really looks like a ranunculus flower - I actually have a few in a vase right now for comparison. However, as much as I love this, I know I will never wear it. I am not so bold in my everyday life. This is the beauty of etsy - I emailed Ms. Smitten and asked if she could make one in white/ivory/cream and leave the center as is (for my something blue/turquoise). A few days later, she sent me an email with this to confirm it was good:

It is exactly what I hoped for. So I got a custom made silk hairpiece for less than $30! How can you beat that? Beyond price, I love that I am going to wear something made by someone I could connect to, that wasn't made by a machine, or in a sweatshop. This was my first shopping experience with etsy, and I do not think it is my last, since I still have a veil and maybe a purse to buy. Oh and Ms. Smitten also sells garters and pillows, and veils oh my. Love this place!

4 comments:

Jade said...

be careful - etsy is an addiction :) I buy most of my gifts through there now! Beautiful hairpiece.

luckylass said...

I have my eye on so many things now. It is crazy! And, of course, they aren't all wedding related. Tell me about it for gifts.

Esther and Marjie Lorpol said...

The hairpiece is PERFECT! What a great find - for all the reason that you outlined in your post. I've already been looking at stuff on etsy ..... what a neat place. :)

L Hewitt said...

You're so sweet! Much love!!

xoxo
Leah
Smitten