Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The importance of communication

From my last post, I thought I would discuss communication. I suppose many would say that it is the most important aspect of marriage. Now my fiance and I weren't always the best communicators. In fact, I believe it was one of the reasons that we broke up after 2 years of dating. During our early years, we never argued. Instead all of our pent up feelings caused us to resent each other.


During our second time around, though, we changed our ways. Part of it was due to being in a long distance relationship. You either become a good communicators or you break up. So, we discuss stuff all the time now. Sometimes in the form of bickering, but very rarely in the form of full fledged fighting.

Probably one of the most important things I have learned is to not make assumptions. Case in point... Mr. Fiance was discussing our wedding planning the other day with his step-brother and sister-in law and happened to mention that we are pretty much finished with planning. As he relayed this story, I almost choked on my spit. I immediately said to him that he was crazy, Yep he assumed that we didn't have much left to do. This is most likely due to me trying to buffer him from the messy, albeit often necessary, details of the wedding. See - not communicating - on both ends.

I appreciate that we will be forced to talk about maybe some of the unglamorous aspects of marriage. It is one of the things I am most grateful about being engaged. Sure in this day and age, we totally don't NEED to be married. But I really think the process will make our relationship even stronger (plus we get to throw a kickass party!).

2 comments:

Jade said...

Did you tell him that he is might need to help gocco? :)

luckylass said...

LOL. He thinks the gocco is pretty cool.