Monday, September 1, 2008

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I would not call me a high strung person. In fact, many of my past roommies have ventured to call me pretty darn easy going. I would say that some of this results in my uncanny ability of being undecisive. Yes you read that right, not indecisive, but UNdecisive.

Truly awesome definitions from Merriam Webster online:
  • in·de·ci·sive - not decisive
  • de·ci·sive - having the power or quality of deciding
See I have the power to decide, I just don't want to - hence my new word. As I say this, I need to add in that I am not like this for everything, just for what I consider less important stuff. For important stuff (i.e shoes, fragrance, orange juice brands...etc) I am very opinionated and am not afraid to make a decision. I just feel that it if I was like this for everything, I would (a) not be a fun friend/companion/roommie, and (b) be exhausted.

Case in point, the wedding registry. Now, I have been so excited to register for YEARS. All the china, all the beautiful LeCrueset pans, all the good stuff that should last in our home forever. Like most fiances, mine could really care less. Even the one thing he does want - an iron!- he made me chose. Too many decisions!!! The one with the 10 settings and steam or the one with 5 settings and retractable cord - I don't know, its an iron!

I thought he might even care about the things that we will use on a daily basis, like everyday plates. Nope. I pointed out some plates that, well, just aren't our style. Just to mess with him...
Mikasa Damask Copper China at Macy's


His response - "sure, it is fine". It was like this the whole time. The only opinion I got was for the the champagne flutes I picked out, and the red wine glasses that he found...
Vera Wang Lace Bouquet Champagne Flute

Marquis by Waterford Vintage Deep Red Wine Goblets

I suppose I can't complain too much, as he did come with me and didn't complain. I just missed having my partner in crime. See, he also suffers from bouts of undecisivity. When you multiply that by two, at least you get some decisions done.

We ended the registry setup a tad early. My "excuse" was that it was for him. But, looking back on it, it was more for me. It was exhausting... coffee pot with grinder, thermal carafe, or thermal plate; blender with food processor attachment or separate blender and food processor; all matching china or mix and match? Yeah it was a bit much for someone like me, who is not only undecisive, but often takes a long time to make a decision when I actually feel the need to. But that is the subject of another post.

Did you have a hard time creating your registry? Did you fiance help and actually have an opinion?

No comments: